Michelle ColvillHead of Performing Arts
Why should I study Dance?
A level Dance provides students with the opportunity to gain experience of performance and choreography and to develop critical thinking about Dance.
This course is particularly suitable for students who have studied GCSE Dance and wish to study Dance at a higher level. The content allows students to study a subject which can be extended through higher education and promotes a healthy lifestyle through an awareness of the importance of exercise and training.
This four-unit specification requires students to:
– develop understanding and knowledge as well as critical skills for the analysis of choreography and performance within their own work and in professional repertoire
– gain experience of choreography and performance through practice
– gain in-depth knowledge of specific study areas and professional works.
The practical elements of the course amount to 55% of the full qualification.
What will I study?
UNIT 1: Understanding Dance
UNIT 2: Choreography and Performance
UNIT 3: Dance Appreciation: Content and Context
UNIT 4: Group Choreography and Solo Performance
What are the entry requirements?
Please check this subject table for full details of our A Level entry requirements.
What skills do I need?
– Good dance ability and movement range
– Good communication skills
– The ability to work individually as well as in groups
– The ability to discuss and share ideas
– The ability to work hard under pressure, working towards deadlines
– Enjoy written examinations
How will I be taught?
– Practical sessions
– Classroom sessions
– Master classes
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed through assignments such as essays and written examinations as well as through practical sessions and performances.
What will the course prepare me for?
– Further dance study
– Getting work within the industry
– Dance teaching
– Community work
How much private study should I expect to do?
Year 12 subjects require three to four hours of independent study each week; Year 13 subjects require four to five hours each week.
What materials will I need to purchase?
– Black leotard
– Black leggings
What is the exam board?
This subject is for you if…
you’re energetic, creative, disciplined and enjoy written exams.
This subject is not for you if…
you’re shy when performing, physically unfit or don’t enjoy written exams.